Do you know that Your skin is the largest organ in the body? It measures about 20 square feet. It is not easy keeping it safe and protected from harsh elements in the environment or from foods you eat every day. However, harnessing the power of nature’s most beneficial herbs can keep your skin glowing , supple, firm and young-looking. Aside from medicinal uses, herbs also provide natural scents that rejuvenate your body, mind and spirit.
Aloe Vera is often called as nature’s miracle herb because of its healing, moisturizing and rejuvenating properties.
- It is an excellent solution for acne problems, frost bites, blisters, psoriasis, skin rash, allergies and inflammations of the skin.
- It moisturizes skin.
- It minimizes scars and stretch marks formation.
- It helps mature skin to produce more collagen and form fresh, healthy cells.
- It cleanses skin and gets rid of dead cells.
- It aids people who are exposed to ultra-violet and gamma radiation.
Lavender is one of the most amazing herbs because of its many benefits aside from sweet, relaxing scent.
- It contains linalool compound which prevents wrinkles formation and keeps skin firm.
- Its cytophylactic property assists in new skin production.
- It has antiseptic property which heal eczema, acne, , psoriasis, burns, fungal infections and skin allergies.
- Its oil is an excellent skin toner and mood enhancer.
- Its scent can relieve insomia, headaches and restlessness.
- Its fragrance is used for aromatherapy essential oils, perfumes, soaps, lotions, deodorants and other cosmetic products.
Chamomile is considered the gentle and relaxant herb which is popularly used as tea and essential oils. It is also used as ingredient of lotions, creams, shampoo, conditioners and bath soaps.
- Its antiseptic, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties heal dermatitis, acne and eczema.
- It reduces swelling, itchiness and redness of skin. Use cool chamomile tea to wash affected area or put warm tea bags directly to your skin.
- It prevents premature aging by reducing wrinkles.
- It re-hydrates the skin.
Rosemary is another nature’s wonder herb because of its many benefits.
- Its toning and moisturizing properties can effectively reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- It treats acne problems and other skin problems because of its anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Its oil extract is used for therapeutic aromatherapy and incense.
- It is used as ingredient of cleansers, perfumes and shampoos.
Basil is called the “KING” of herbs. It is a sacred herb among Hindus.
- It contains plenty of vitamins (A, C and K) and minerals (iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium) which keep the skin supple and glowing with health.
- Its tea can detoxify the body and restore clear skin.
- Its oil extract purifies, softens and tones the skin.
- It whitens dark spots due to aging.
- It maintains the normal moisture balance of the skin and keeps it young-looking.
Witch Hazel is a natural astringent from Hamamelis Virginiana’s leaves and bark. It is used as topical balm to soothe sore, swelled and bruised areas of the skin.
- It helps the skin excrete bacteria-causing sebum.
- It reduces the inflammation of pimples.
- It minimized eye bags and puffiness.
- It tightens and firms skin tissues.
- It cures eczema, psoriasis, insect bites and even ingrown nails.
- It soothes diaper rash of babies.
- It cools down sunburn when mixed with Aloe Vera and prevents skin peeling.
Calendula is a popular plant used for ornamental, cosmetic, culinary and medicinal purposes.
- It contains high-amount of flavonoids which prevents inflammation.
- It provides natural moisture and alleviates skin dryness.
- It repairs skin damage due to sun, wind and chemical exposures.
- It treats eczema, wounds, scrapes and cuts.
- It is externally used to treat inflamed mucus membranes, skin infections, abrasions and lacerations.
- It heals diaper rash.
- It moisturizes dry, chapped lips.
- It heals and erases acne scars.
- It promotes tissue regeneration.
Sage is an evergreen plant which belongs to Lamiaceae (mint) family. In 2001, sage was hailed as Herb of the Year by International Herb Association due to its versatile benefits.
- It is a natural astringent which treats oily skin problem. You can use it in 2 ways: (1) Rinse your face with sage tea in the morning and before bedtime and (2) Boil sage with apple cider to make a natural toner.
- It contains potent antioxidants which reverse signs of aging including wrinkles, age spots and fine lines.
- It protects the skin against free radicals.
- It has high-amount of Vitamin A and Calcium which are necessary for daily cell regeneration.
- Its antibacterial properties prevent skin infections.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which effectively heals eczema, acne and psoriasis.
Go natural! Harness the potent power of these 8 amazing herbs to keep your skin healthy and beautiful!
Lots of Love,
The Journal Girl